Gynecomastia is a cause of major embarrassment for men all over the world. This condition can affect males of all ages. A study found that around 50 percent of men in the U.S. experience some degree of gynecomastia.
There can be several reasons behind this embarrassing problem, including hormonal imbalance and the aging process. In many cases, avoiding the factors that give rise to gynecomastia may not be possible.
However, thanks to advancements in medical science, getting rid of enlarged male breasts is possible. We offer a procedure known as male breast-reduction surgery.
Male Breast-Reduction Surgery: An Introduction
Male breast-reduction surgery is the most effective procedure for getting rid of enlarged male breasts. The process involves removing excess fat and glandular tissue to restore masculine contours. In many cases, excess breast tissue stretches the areolae. In such cases, the position and size of the areolae are also adjusted to achieve the desired look and proportions.
What Is the Process Like?
The first step involves administering either local anesthesia with intravenous sedation or general anesthesia to the patient. After this, Dr. Glassman removes excess tissue from the chest. The methods used to achieve this objective can be categorized into two different types:
Liposuction: Liposuction is used in cases where enlarged breasts are a result of fatty tissue. Dr. Glassman creates several small incisions and inserts a cannula to suction out excess stubborn fat.
Excision: Excision is recommended for patients with excess glandular breast tissue and skin. It is also performed to correct the positioning and size of the areolae.
In many cases, a combination of both these methods is performed. It all depends on the composition of the patient’s male breasts.
The surgery is performed as an outpatient process and can take anywhere between two and two and a half hours. The exact time required depends on a number of factors, such as the techniques used and the amount of work to be done.
An ideal candidate is someone who:
• Has been maintaining a healthy weight
• Is not suffering from any major health issues
• Is unhappy with the way his chest looks
• A complete reduction of male breasts
• Sustainable results
Preparation for the Procedure
• Discontinue non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications and herbal supplements.
• Stop smoking and drinking at least a couple of week before the process.
• Get a thorough physical examination done.
• Avoid sun tanning.
• Ask a friend or family member to take you home after the surgery.
• Avoid eating anything eight hours before surgery. Do not drink anything six hours before the process.
Post-Operative Care Instructions
• Avoid physically demanding activities for at least four weeks after the procedure.
• Avoid consuming alcohol and smoking for at least three weeks after the procedure.
• Wear the compression garment provided by Dr. Glassman for at six weeks after surgery.
• Clean incisions regularly. Avoid soaking them with water for at least a couple of weeks after surgery.
• Avoid sleeping on your abdomen for three weeks after the procedure.
Your Consultation with Dr. Glassman
Dr. Lawrence Glassman, a board-certified plastic surgeon, will be happy to help you learn more about male breast reductions during a consultation. Schedule your consultation – contact our office today.